Sunday, January 06, 2013

Silver Trumpets!

Before time flies away and I forget, I really have to blog about my experience at this church this morning. The music and architecture came highly recommended, and I even forgot about one of the biggest reasons I was going there until it actually happened... silver trumpets at the elevation! Not just trumpets, but the organ (resultant? and some other stuff?) and timpani. Quite spectacular. I mean, a little *too* spectacular, and you can see why it's not technically "allowed" as it was definitely musically distracting... I wanted to burst into applause right after; it was such a grand chorus!

The church itself was gorgeous, and I think might be even prettier than my own. :-(
As for the liturgy, it was decently done, minus the "Angels We Have Heard on High" substituting for the Gloria, {eyeroll} and the responsorial Psalm that was definitely not any "Psalm" text I've ever heard. I was impressed with how the priest chanted the Gospel.

Pope John Paul visited the church in 1969 (before he was pope) and the miter (?) that he wore is enshrined as a relic.

ETA: I forgot to mention! The priest sang the Epiphany Proclamation (where they announce the dates for all of the upcoming moveable Feasts like Easter for the next year.) I had only just heard of that a few days ago, so it was cool to see it in action!

No comments: