Sunday, July 29, 2007

finding subs...

so a while ago my boss told me that it wouldn't be a big deal if I ever had to miss Mass and couldn't find a sub, he said that all the churches that he's ever been at had that happen except the cathedral. So I was planning on having August 18 be that day (my first in over a year!) because all of my possible subs are going on vacation or will be at a wedding...
and then I found out the priest would be gone also...and so he said that I really have to find a sub. but he would prefer not to pay (even out of the goodness of his heart,) more than $75.
so...now I'm scrambling, and running out of ideas...
I'm not writing about this to moan about him, or my job or anything, but rather the sad state of things in GENERAL when there are no substitutes out there!

when I'm like the only person in the WORLD who can do my job! ugh!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mara, you really need to get more tuned in to the Detroit and Windsor Catholic music scene. I understand that you may be attending the chant lessons at St. Josaphat. That's a great place to start meeting like-minded music people.

I know three freelance organists in the region who are experienced at leading Tridentine Mass music and would be competent to sub for you, including the chant aspects. But because they will be driving from the Detroit area, they will want more than what your pastor is offering.

E-mail me at alexb {at} birdata [dot] com for contact info.

Mara Joy said...

meh. except that the tridentine Mass isn't the problem! (Definitely not doing that at our church at this moment...)
but I did find a sub for that weekend. yay!

Anonymous said...

Not to belabor the point, but I know the TLM is not the issue. What is the issue is that you need qualified subs. Not anybody can sub for such an ambitious music program as yours. TLM-experienced people have the chant experience that you presumably require if you want those Communion antiphons chanted during your absence. These folks actually know what a Graduale Romanum is.

Such experienced people are out there; you just have to look beyond Ann Arbor. I think you would be delighted to make the acquaintance of some of these folks. Build your local contacts; you never know when you can help one another.